Course Reserve materials may be in print, electronic, and multimedia formats in compliance with the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). Whenever possible and allowed by the U.S. Copyright Law, materials will be scanned as electronic documents and made available to students 24/7.
Fair Use Is Not Free Use
To use copyrighted materials for Course Reserves the material(s) must be used for nonprofit reasons such as education and research. Using small portions of the material for referrals is generally allowed. However, if the copyright owner disallows use, then Course Reserves must comply.
Course Reserves, Copyright and You
- I have never worried about copyright compliance before. Why now?
The FIU Libraries must comply with the U.S Copyright Law.
- What kinds of materials can I place on Reserve that will be copyright compliant?
Most books can be placed on print (non-PDF) reserve. Photocopies of articles either in print or PDF format and multimedia materials must comply with the Copyright Law.
- What kinds of materials can I place on Reserve that do not require copyright compliance?
Non-copyrighted works, such as study guides and past exams. Some government documents may not be copyrighted, so verify this from a government documents librarian if you are unsure.
- Do I have to seek permission from the publishers?
No, the Library will assume this responsibility. You will be notified if permission is not granted.
- What happens if the material I need does not receive permission to be used?
Then the Library is unable to place this material on Reserve. The Library must comply.
- Will I be notified if the copyright use is denied?
Yes, you will be notified and your material will be returned.
- When should I submit materials for placement on Reserve?
30 to 45 days before the semester begins. Please allow about 2 weeks for your materials to be processed and placed on Reserve. You may submit materials at any time during the semester.
- If I intend to keep a material on Reserve every semester, do I need to resubmit this request each semester?
Yes, in accordance with the Copyright Law all Reserve materials must be renewed for each semester. An electronic notice will be sent to you as a reminder.
- What type of materials can be placed on Electronic Reserves?
Due to copyright restrictions and other technical considerations, only articles published in journals, magazines, newspapers, and most book chapters are eligible for this service.